Offwell Primary School
Be well; Learn well; Live well; Offwell


Hopefully you will find an answer to a burning question here but if you still have a query please do not hesitate to get in touch.

How do I apply for a school place?

Please view the school admission policy.

Can I park on the premises?

Parking is available free of charge in the Village Hall car park. Parents are requested not to park outside school as it causes an obstruction to the school bus and makes it unsafe for children arriving and leaving school.

What time does school start and finish?

School begins at 8.50am daily, with the children in Oak, Beech and Willow classes lining up in the playground. Children in Ash class are taken directly to their classroom by parents/carers.

School finishes at 3.15pm daily.

What should my child wear to school?

The school colour is green, there is a uniform for daily wear, along with a PE kit, Uniform can be purchased directly from the Uniform with a logo can be purchased from a large number of retailers. A small number of items are held by the school office.

Can I buy a book bag?

On entry to school your child will be provided with a book bag. Further book bags can be purchased either from school or the Tesco website. The use of book bags is strongly encouraged.

What else is my child allowed to bring to school?

Children should not bring toys, sweets, valuables or money into school. School cannot be responsible for children’s property. A book bag should be sufficient for your child’s daily needs; if other bags are deemed necessary they should be of an appropriate size.

What happens if my child is ill or late?

If your child is ill they need to stay at home. You should call the school office on 01404 831417 or e-mail to inform the school of your child’s absence.

If your child is late arriving at school please sign them in at the school office.

What happens at lunchtime?

Children in Reception, Years 1 and 2 are entitled to a free school meal and for older children a school meal is available at a cost of £2.50 per day. A copy of the menu is available from the school office.

Is drinking water available?

Water is available in the classroom and the dining hall. Children are also permitted to bring water into school to drink in the classroom during the day.

What happens at the end of the day?

Children in Nursery and Reception are collected by a known adult from Ash class. Please let us know if someone different from usual is collecting your child. Older children are dismissed by their teacher to a known adult in the playground.

Will my child be expected to do homework?

The class termly newsletter will inform parents of the days when homework will be given out and when it needs to be returned. Oak and Beech classes’ weekly homework is available from the class page of the school website.

The school homework policy can be viewed on this website.

Do you have after school clubs?

WASP is our after school provision. It operates on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday  until 6pm. Different activities are on offer on different days and are subject to change. The charge is £3 until 4.15pm, £5 until 5pm and £8 until 6pm payable half termly in advance.

Early Morning Provision runs every day from either 8am (with breakfast) or 8.15am. There is a charge of £2 from 8am or £1.25 per child from 8.15am per session for this.

Do you have a school council?

Yes. Children are elected to the school council by their peers. The school council meets regularly and discusses a range of issues.

What if my child has special needs?

We can meet a variety of special needs in school. Please discuss your child’s special needs with their teacher. The Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator (SENCO) will be happy to meet you to discuss specific concerns.

How can I help my child settle into school?

Bring your child to school on time. Arriving late can mean that your child misses important information about the day. It can also be embarrassing for your child and is disruptive for the class.

I have some free time. How can I help?

Parents and carers are welcome to help in school, subject to the necessary CRB disclosure. If you would like to help in class, run a club or feel you have a skill set that would benefit the school please speak to your child’s class teacher or the school office.

Can my child be taken on holiday during term time?

Children will not be given permission for holidays during term time.

What if my child needs medicine in school?

School can administer medication prescribed by a doctor or bought over the counter. You will be asked to complete a medication form. The medicine should be clearly labelled with the child’s name.

When can I talk to my child’s teacher?

Teachers are busy preparing for the day and settling their classes first thing in the morning and can only receive the briefest of messages at that time. They are more easily available at the end of the school day when they have dismissed their classes. Teachers are happy to make appointments to see you if you would like a longer chat.

Teachers also meet parents and carers informally at school events and more formally at parents’ evenings.

How will I know how my child is doing at school?

In the autumn term a parents’ evening is held when your child has been in school or in a new class, for a period of 5-6 weeks. This enables parents to meet their child’s new teacher to discuss how children are settling to work in their new classes, with their new peer group and their academic progress.

In the spring term, parents’ evenings are held to discuss your child’s academic progress.

In the summer term every child will receive a written report along with the results of any statutory assessments. Parents will be given the opportunity to discuss this report towards the end of the summer term.

How should my child search for lost property?

For general items, your child needs to speak to a member of staff. Unclaimed items are kept in the cloakroom area of Beech class. Please ensure all clothing is marked with your child’s full name.

Is my child entitled to free school meals?

Children whose parents receive the following support payments are entitled to receive free school meals:

  • Income Based and Contribution Based Jobseekers Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance on an equal basis
  • Income Support
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Child Tax Credit (without Working Tax Credit) and with an annual taxable income assessed by HM
  • Revenue and Customs to be less than £16, 190
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Where a parent is entitled to a Working Tax Credit run-on (the payment received for a further 4 weeks when no longer qualifying for Working Tax Credit)