St Mary's Church
Offwell has a 15th century church (St. Mary’s); much restored by Edward Copleston (1776-1849), Bishop of Llandaff and Dean of St. Paul’s, who was born at the rectory. The Coplestons were rectors for many years from 1773, and have produced a number of distinguished churchmen. Edward Copleston was a great builder. He built Offwell House (1828), the rectory (1845), and the tower at Tower Cross (1843) from which there are magnificent views.
Offwell is a Church of England Voluntary Controlled School, and its links with the village church are very strong. We hold special services to celebrate Harvest, Christmas and Easter, and also a special Leavers’ Service at the end of July. The whole school attends church weekly for a collective worship and we also hold regular Eucharist services for the Key Stage 2 pupils. Confirmation classes may be offered as and when appropriate. The Ethos group plan family services in the year, which are usually held in St Mary’s Church.