School meals are provided from the canteen at Littletown Primary School by Fresha, served from our own kitchen and eaten in the hall, under supervision.
The preferred method of payment is through Parentpay. You will be given login details once your child is on our school roll. Alternatively, dinner money should be brought to school each Monday, in a sealed envelope, clearly marked with the child’s name. Cheques may be sent, made payable to Devon County Council.
All children eating a school dinner are provided with a drink. Please notify the school of any dietary problem. Vegetarian meals can be provided on request.
The current charge is £2.50 per meal. Pupils who reside with a parent (or guardian) who is in receipt of Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance (Income based) can be awarded free school meals. You may also be eligible for free school meals if you are in receipt of Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit and the family income is under £16,190. See the information regarding Pupil Premium below on how to apply.
Children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to a free school meal funded by the
Government, for Nursery and older children you will be notified of the cost, currently set at £2.50. Of course all children are welcome to bring a packed lunch. If your child brings a packed lunch please mark the lunch container with your child’s name. Fresh water is always available.
What is the Pupil Premium?
Did you know… just registering your child for Free School Meals means that the school gets extra money? Register now to make sure we don’t miss out.
The Government gives money to schools to help children from lower income families do their very best. This funding is called a ‘Pupil Premium’. For every child registered gets approximately £1300. Please register now to make sure your child does not miss out.
How does it work?
- First, check if you qualify – it is not just if you are unemployed.
- Registering is really quick and easy – if you think you qualify, click on the link below.
- If you want your child to have a free, healthy meal at lunchtime, they will get the free meal (saving you more than £400 a year), and the school gets extra money.
- If you don’t want your child to have the school meals they can continue as normal – as long as you qualify and are registered, the school still gets the extra money.
No one will know you have registered and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.
Do you qualify?
You can register your child for Free School Meals if you get any of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
How do I apply?
Just fill in the application form on Devon County Council’s website and follow the instructions there.
School Meals Provided by Fresha
At Fresha, we believe healthy children learn better, through improved concentration and energy levels. Healthy diets also result in improved behaviour and attendance at school.
By providing highly nutritious meals that children like to eat; we want to make a positive difference to the health and wellbeing of your children.
This theory has been proved in many studies over several years, showing an increase in grades and a reduction in absentee-ism in schools where healthy meals are served.
A team of chefs and a nutritionist carefully design seasonal menus which incorporate the required portions of fruit and seasonal vegetables; milk and dairy, meat, fish and proteins. All of our ingredients are sourced from the best suppliers in the West Country. Our meals are low in fat, low in sugar and low in salt. They are also carefully planned to ensure your children maintain the right balance of energy and concentration levels for their afternoons of learning.
Benefits of Fresha School Meals
- Your children will benefit from the healthiest school meal provision available.
- Our healthy school meals ensure children have energy and concentration in the afternoons, enabling them to get the most out of their learning and activities.
- Our allergen training ensures that our kitchen teams identify individual children with specific dietary and allergen requirements and ensure that these requirements are met.
- Our kitchen teams are trained to interact and engage positively with your children, encouraging good meal choices and clean plates at the end of lunch.
- We will support the school with lessons and activities based around food.
- Fresha aims to ensure that every child not only has the opportunity to enjoy a healthy school lunch, but also takes an interest in the food that they are eating
Fresha’s Owner and Director passionately believes in the delivery of healthy and nutritious meals to children. He has two boys who attend a local state primary school; the supply of nutritious meals to children is a cause close to his heart.
The same is true for many of Fresha‘s staff, whose children also attend Devon schools. The whole Fresha team works together, in a caring and diligent way to provide the best school meals possible. Because what your children eat matters.
If you would like to find out more about Fresha school meals, please click here:
Fresha would also like to hear from you, constructive feedback enables them and us to finely hone the catering, encouraging more families to take advantage of a delicious, highly nutritious, healthy and inexpensive hot meal, each school day, for their children
To provide feedback to Fresha on school meals, you can email Fresha directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your child wishes to bring a snack to eat at morning playtime, fruit or raw vegetables are acceptable but not crisps, sweets or chocolates. KS1 children are provided with fruit or vegetables free of charge as part of a government initiative. Children are provided with a school water bottle which is cleaned and refilled every day.
The school works with the company ‘Cool Milk’ enabling your child to be offered milk on a daily basis at a reasonable price. Your child will be eligible to receive free milk until their 5th birthday or if they are eligible for free school meals. Application forms and further information are available from Mrs Davey.